Monday, January 21, 2013

On & Off the Needles

First, the last two excruciation textiles of 2012:

Baby Genius Burp Cloth by Kay Gardiner and Ann Shayne

These burp cloths are my "go to" knitted baby gift for family and friends.  They are quick and I really enjoy making them.  I equally enjoy making a matching bib.  The green burp cloth still needs and bib to complete the set.  I am working on having a couple sets put up so that I am not interrupting current projects to make a baby shower gift.

Girly Bib by Cheryl Fisher

Back in December, I needed a bit of pick-me-up knitting to restore my faith in knitting.  Changes in gauge can be soul crushing...especially when it occurs on a certain blanket you had been working on for close to two years.  Much, much more on that later.  So, I was fiddling about in the stash (because petting yarn does make me feel better when I am down) and remembered that last year (thanks to my mom) I had bought the yarn to make this::

(Ms.) Mr. Fox Stole my Heart by tiny owl knits
Yarn:  Rowan Cocoon in Amber


The mini fox was made for me by the extremely talented Kara.  This was just the knitting I needed to restore my faith.  I tried for a great picture of myself wearing both stoles but I was not photogenic that evening.  It happens.  Someday a great photo of me with these two lovelies will be captured and I will share it then!


Kerchief Scarf by Joelle Hoverson

My LYS (Textiles A Mano) had a holiday gift exchange back in December and I participated.  I received a skein of Wisdom Yarns Poems and some peppermint lotion.  When I got home that evening, I cast on the kerchief scarf immediately and finished it the next day.  I added a button hole and button.  I love it.  I normally do not wear pink or fuchsia but I really like the bold stripes of it in this scarf.


Guernsey Wrap by Jared Flood
Brooklyn Tweed Shelter in Thistle

The wrap is done and wonderful.  It really is everything I hoped it would be.  I had relatively no trouble at all reading the chart this time around...except for the one small detail I failed to notice.


What detail you ask?  The tiny little arrow pointing you back in the other direction for the even numbered rows.  Yes, it makes a huge difference it turns out.  Knitting can be so very humbling.  So, I had the pleasure of knitting half of this wrap twice!  I know, lucky me.

Recently, after I finished my Guernsey, SouleMama posted this blog.  How perfect is the Dustland Hat and Mitts by Stephen West?  I need them to go with my wrap!  I want to use Shelter for the hat and Loft for the mitts.  Now the hard part, what color?  Soot, stormcloud or truffle hunt?  So many wonderful choices.  Of course, it will really come down to what Knit Purl has in stock.

Follow up on the remaining WiPs from 2012::

I decided to frog my Pagoda.  I dig the pattern and love the yarn but the two together were not compatible.  I have plans to make this with the yarn (why yes, I do have a thing for Stephen West scarves) and I think the madelinetosh in the colorway mare that I have is going to make a breathtaking Pagoda.

The blanket is finished and in the mail!  It deserves a whole post of it's very own.  Stay tuned for the complete details on the whole painstaking process.  And the soul crushing bout with gauge....sigh.


 My Knitting Goals for 2013:

1.  Socks...they are coming folks.  For realz.  I do believe that I have figured out how to turn a heel.  
2.  Lace.  I have started a Lace KAL for 2013.  Four projects, one each quarter.  So far, AustraKnits is in for all four and knitsnips is down for Bigger on the Inside.  Contact me if you are interested in joining us.  Casting on for Multnomah will take place this week or next (Jennie are you still interested?).
           a.  Multnomah
           b.  Larch
           c.  ZuZu Petals
           d.  Bigger on the Inside
3.  Stranded Color Work.  I have already started on this one.  Textiles a Mano offered a class these past two Sundays on stranded color work.  It was brilliant and I learned quite a bit.  So far, this is the only color work pattern I will definitely be making.
           a.  Intwined Bag
4.  Continue to knit from the stash.  With the exception of the Dustland hat & mitts, Bigger on the Inside and the four Intwined Bags.

 So what is on or coming off your needles?

No comments:

Post a Comment