Wednesday, December 19, 2012

My Week in Photos:: Reflections

This post is a few days late.  Because, well, I have been reflecting.

In light of the recent events, reflections seem poignant now.  Since I do not watch T.V., I first heard about what happened in Portland and in Connecticut from the Facebook and then NPR.  I have read a few news articles but have not closely followed the events and the aftermath of what happened.  I do not need to.  This does not mean that I do not have a deep physical ache over what happened, because I do.  I also ache for all the children that are suffering in Fukushima in the aftermath of their nuclear disaster.  I ache for the women and children on the continent of Africa who are continuing to die day after day.  I ache for the citizens and aquatic lifeforms living in and on the Gulf of Mexico who are still reeling from the BP oil spill.  I ache for the continued infanticide and feticide of girls in China and India.  It seems to me that these things and all of the other devastating acts of violence that occur on a regular basis around the world are a reflection of a much bigger and deeply rooted problem.  We are a living in a world of violence and greed.  It is everywhere.  Pouring from the pages of our collective HIStory books.  From the Gaza Strip to small town America.  No one and no country is immune to it.  How do we end the cycle of violence?  I do not know.  I can, however, offer a humble suggestion.  I suggest that everyone smoke pot and take up knitting.  But then who am I?  Just a pot smoking knitter who wishes there was less violence and more kindness in the world.  I am, however, a reflection of what I want the world to be.  Do no harm is my mantra.

I choose the theme of reflections a couple of weeks ago.  Thinking back to the few photography courses I have taken and the different assignments we had.  Reflections were always one of my favorites.  In addition to this, the song Reflections by The Supremes has been stuck in my head.  A couple weeks back, I watched some episodes of MASH at a friends house and it got me thinking about the show China Beach and voila, Reflections lyrics have been running through my brain ever since.

 This photo is actually from earlier this summer.  Before the reservoir was drained.  Flood control, it is important.

 And here is the empty reservoir.  Pretty incredible.  All summer long the Coastal Fork of the Willamette is flowing under the reservoir.  Only visible in this section during the fall and winter.  One hundred years ago, this valley was an apple orchard with the river flowing through it.

 So, this probably does not really count as a reflection but I like it anyways.  The nail reflected in the drop of rain.

  Me.  I typically do not like my picture being taken.  Probably because I am not comfortable in my own skin most days.  In my efforts to take more pictures, I am also making a effort to take more "self portraits" and be comfortable with the images.

 I was hoping for more clarity with this shot.  I could see the reflection of the maple tree outside in the needles as I was knitting away on this blanket.  The reflection of light is nice.  The blanket continues to grow (and grow) but continues to feel like it will never be finished.  Miles and miles of garter ridges.

 The highlight of the week was a trip to Portland to visit a dollhouse.  An amazing dollhouse.  For years, I have gotten an invitation to the Dollhouse Open House from my friend Patty, but we were in Indiana.  This year, I was finally able to see it in all its glory.  Absolutely fabulous.  Patty, along with her twin and her father built and decorated this house.  Did I mention it is fabulous?

Two of my favorite things.  Knitting and whiskey.  I am practicing turning heels on mini socks.  Baby steps.  Each attempt is better than the last.  Oh, the learning curve...whiskey helps.  I swear.

How was your week?

4 comments:

  1. Lovely post. Today, I am reflecting on my life over the last 16 years - as we had the last Christmas lunch with the work "family". I was so overwhelmed with my reflecting last evening that I got my first bout of insomnia since high school and hardly slept a wink. I thought I would cry. But I didn't. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes a good cry is in order. I would imagine that your current transition is a bit of an emotional roller coaster ride. Here is to your next adventure! Xxxx

      Delete
  2. Well said, friend. I miss you and love the self portraits. Holy Moly, your hair is getting long!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Mare, I miss you you so! My hair is out of control...January is just around the corner and my two ban on doing anything with it will be lifted. Bangs...I am going to do it! Xxxxx

      Delete