Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Patient Pam



 Meet Pam.  We have been friends for a long time.  Last April we went to Chicago for the weekend with another dear friend, Alissa.  The primary reason for our visit was to see a taping of NPR's news quiz Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me.  The three of us have crushes on Carl Kasell (but then who doesn't?!?!). We also went to the Shedd Aquarium and saw jelly fish among other things.  Prior to our aquarium visit I drug them to a local yarn shop, Loopy Yarns.  While walking through the shop, I picked up a hank of Cascade Ecological Wool and said to Pam, "I just bought this yarn to make myself a vest."  Pam said, "I like vests.  What does it look like?"  We walked over to the shops book selection and I found New England Knits and showed her the pattern.  She said, "If I buy the yarn, will you make me one?"  I said, "Sure!  I can have it made for you in about a months time", (or something to that effect).  Needless to say, fifteen months later it is finished and shortly it will be on its way to Pam.  Last week, Pam had surgery to repair her knee and I hope that as fall is arriving in Indiana that this vest will keep her warm and help her convalescence progress at a rapid rate!

Pattern:  Montague Bulky Lace Vest by Melissa LeBarre
Yarn:  Cascade Ecological Wool in Tarnish

I did run into a bit of a snag this weekend in finishing the vest.  Due to the fact that all three pieces of the vest measured 9" too long (at least they were all the same length!), I knew that I might run out of yarn as I finished the front edge.  As I was knitting away Sunday night, I thought I could make it.  Not quite the 4" edge that the pattern called for but close.  Almost 3 3/4".  I finished with the wrong side row and started to bind off.  Right up until I ran out of yarn I truly thought I would make it...I almost did.  Approximately thirty stitches left to bind off and no yarn.  I found just enough Cascade 220 in my stash that was a darker grey that I thought would work but in the end it was too dark and it stood out.  So, I tinked back two rows and then proceeded with the bind off.  I am really pleased with this vest.  I am particularly proud of my seams.  They are perfect.  Seams do fear me! 



Now, I can make myself one and it will be out of Eco+ in Rainier Heather...I will get right on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment