Saturday, November 17, 2012

On & Off the Needles

News from the holiday knitting front:
Items are falling off the needles quickly around here.  I feel like Molly Weasley.  Accomplishing all sorts of domestic tasks while my needles are busy click clacking away in front of a warm fire.  I am eighty percent done with my holiday gift making!  My deadline is the first week of December since I have to mail everything this year.  Here is a peek at my finished gifts without giving anything away!

Other news in knitting:
I finished my Gryffindor House Scarf!  After consulting with Kara and Amber (both started their scarves long after I started mine and finished theirs promptly!); I opted to do without the fringe (I think fringe is kind of juvenile).  Now, I just need a hat and some fingerless mitts to go with my scarf and I am ready for the next Quidditch match.  Go Gryffindor!
Pattern:  House Scarves Year 3-4 by Lauren Kent
Yarn:  Cascade 220 in Wine and Gold

While my sister, Nikki, was visiting a couple of weeks ago; she brought back a cowl I made her last year.  She liked it well enough but it was "itchy".  So, together we went through my stash and found a yarn that was not "itchy".

Pattern: Bandana Cowl by Purl Soho
Yarn:  Reynolds Andean Alpaca Regal (discontinued)

I have plenty of the Reynolds Alpaca in my stash (a great buy from a great friend) and I think there might be a a couple lovely ladies in my life that need a "bird of prey" headdress.  In return for making Nikki a new cowl; I got to keep the original!  Itchy?  Not. At. All.

Other news in my knitting world:
Awhile back, I revised my Ravelry Groups and joined the Shibui Knits group.  The very talented Lidia Tsymbal was hosting a pattern give away for the then new Shibui Geometry Series.  All that was required was to follow and comment on her blog.  Done and done.  Lucky me, I won!

Pattern: Parabola by Lidia Tsymbal
Pattern:  Rectangle by Jenny Trygg
Pattern:  Radii by Kirsten Johnstone

Recently, I took the plunge and purchased the Signature Needles straight needle set.  It was a bit of a splurge since I do not have an income right now.  I am happy I did it because they truly are awesome.  And beautiful.  And magical.  I was only going to buy the US7; since that was the pair I needed for a specific project (p5tog and making 15 from 1 stitch is a breeze with these needles).  After doing the math, it made more sense to buy the set because I knew that I would want and need them all eventually.  The best thing is I will never need to buy another pair of straight needles and sometimes you just have to invest in yourself!  Now, all I need to do is find employment so that I can purchase all of them (ha!).  Seriously, I want them all.


Happy Knitting friends!

3 comments:

  1. I'm considering buying a set of the Signature circulars. Everyone I know who has used them raves about them. The price is pretty scary though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do it! The price is scary but they are worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the scarf! Looks great finished. Also, Signatures are definitely worth it! I am slowly acquiring the circulars, and they are heaven to work with.

    ReplyDelete